Clinical Supervision: An Overview of Functions, Processes and Methodology
Effective clinical supervision is a mutual endeavor of clinical oversight and professional growth. It is a process that conceptualizes learning for the counselor that involves much more than monitoring a counselor’s work. This one-day webinar will demonstrate the processes of supervision that make it an essential component in effective clinical care. Areas of focus include: relational dynamics; individualized approaches and strength-based competencies – all hallmarks of skill development through evidence-based supervision that ultimately lead to effective client care. The webinar will be interactive and comprise a combination of didactic presentations, class discussions, and experiential exercises.
November 5 @ 9:00 am – 4:30 pm EDT
Registration deadline October 29, 2021
Dr. Tom Durham is an experienced clinician, curriculum developer and educator/trainer with specialties in addictions, co-occurring disorders, supervision and leadership. He has coordinated and provided technical assistance, training and consultation, both nationally and internationally, for a variety of organizations. Current experience includes consultation, clinical supervision, and training on supervision, leadership and other clinical topics with clinical supervisors for Phoenix House of New England, a multi-site healthcare treatment system. Previous experience included Director of Training at NAADAC – the Association for Addiction Professionals; Executive Director of The Danya Institute, a training program for addiction counselors; and management of system-wide program of on-the-job training and supervision for US Navy and Marine Corps addiction counselors. He has also served as an adjunct professor of psychology and addiction studies at several colleges and universities.
Morning: 9:00 am – Noon
- Welcome & Introductions
- Primary Assumptions and Participant Expectations
- The Scope of Clinical Supervision
Break 10:30 – 10:45 am.
- The Supervisory Relationship
- Applying Theoretical Models to Clinical Supervision
Lunch: 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
Afternoon: 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- Legal and Ethical Dilemmas in Supervision
- Evaluating and Monitoring Counselor Development
Break 2:30 – 2:45pm.
- Modalities and Methods of Clinical Supervision
- Organizational Issues and Leadership Skills for Supervisors
Adjourn: 4:30 pm
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Review models and theories of clinical supervision.
- Analyze ethical and legal obligations in supervision.
- Explore methods and approaches of supervision, including direct observation.
- Integrate stages of counselor development into the supervisory process.
6 Credits: NAADAC CU’s are approved; Social Worker CE’s and Allied MH CE’s pending